Monday, January 5, 2015

The wheels keep on turning....

Happy first Monday of the new year! We are ready to get back into the swing things after our break. We are feeling refreshed and ready to learn! 
 One of the  Funshine express themes  this month is wheeling about. Wheels, big, small, fat, tiny. All kinds of wheels. 
 I love car and transportation themes. There is so much that can be done.

Today we introduced the letter M and what things start with M.
 One of things I pulled out Of my stash was a Map. Since smartphones and GPS became a thing, maps are a thing of th pass. 
I had a map of Missouri , since I well live there. We studied it and found the city we are living in. The girls thought it was so cool that where we lived was in the map. 

I decided to take the kids on an adventure and drive some cars on the map. 
In the funshine  express curriculum , for math  was to compare different size wheels.  
I picked vehicles that would be easy to compare size. 
Lena had mentioned that the different wheels make different tracks. It was a great observation that flourished into the way tires look.
One of the games that came with funshines curriculum was a card game where I laid the cards on the table and asked the kids to pick up the cards that have things with wheels on them. 
 The pictures were a little challenging at times when I asked them how many wheels each item had. When I got to the wheelchair, all answered 1 wheel. That is all they saw, so is googled a picture of a wheelchair and showed it had two. 
Kaelis said "oh that is tricky" 
That was our day with a few things in between.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment